[ros-users] Content of deb packages.

Jeremy Leibs leibs at willowgarage.com
Sun Oct 31 17:38:08 UTC 2010

On Sun, Oct 31, 2010 at 5:32 AM, Konrad Banachowicz <konradb3 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
> I have some concerns about content of ROS deb packages.
> Every deb contains build dir, which is actually more than half of size of
> package.
> I some packeges use more than 1.5GB of disk space.
> As far as i know content of build dirrectory is useless because it contain
> paths used to build deb.

Yes, we have been aware of this fact for a while and trying to remedy
the situation.  Unfortunately some of the ROS packages were previously
linking against some of the libraries only stored in the build
directory, and so removing them broke things.  We opted to leave them
in since the only impact was on filesize.  The build system is now
purging them in the "unstable" line of debs, so they should definitely
be gone from "diamondback" when it comes out.  I don't know if we are
planning to make a comparable change for cturtle since we don't want
to introduce new bugs into our stable line of debs in the event that
we don't catch a corner case.