No subject

Tue Sep 21 18:39:23 UTC 2010

Also, if I go with stereo camera,is there any requirement regarding the
baseline, resolution, frame rate... for making it work with existing VSLAM
stack?

Best,

-M.A

On Thu, Oct 28, 2010 at 1:08 AM, Kurt Konolige <konolige at willowgarage.com>wrote:

> M.A. -
>
> VSLAM currently works only with stereo cameras.  VSLAM with monocular
> cameras is much less robust, unless it is augmented with other sensors
> such as odometry or IMUs.
>
> Using two webcams to make a stereo pair is difficult.  You have to:
>
> 1. Make sure they're rigidly mounted
> 2. Synchronize them
>
> Synchronization is difficult for standard webcams.  At the moment I
> don't think there are any cheap off-the-shelf stereo cams.  Here's one
> reference for a do-it-yourself:
>
> http://sszymczy.rootnode.net/index.php?menu=projects
>
> It would be nice to do some kind of VSLAM on the Create using odometry
> to help, but that would take some work.
>
> Cheers --Kurt
>
> On 10/27/2010 9:46 PM, Anh Nguyen wrote:
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > I have a few questions about VSLAM. I am new to robotics and most of its
> > terminologies so I would appreciate any references that may explain the
> > background needed to understand your answer :)
> >
> > - Can I use ROS VLSAM stack using only one camera (a webcam on my
> > netbook to be more specific).
> > - If so how do I configure VSLAM to get this to work?
> > - If not, can I add another external webcam and use them as a stereo
> > video system or do I have to purchase some commercial stereo camera? If
> > I have to purchase a commercial system, is there any  good one for <
> > $400 range?
> >
> > Has anyone tried to get VSLAM to work with iRobot Create? I spent the
> > last few weeks creating a reduced version of the PrairieDog stack that
> > work without the laser range finder and the stargazer, and mapped my
> > office using the robot's bumper sensor, only to realize that I cannot
> > rely solely on the robot's encoders for accurate localization.
> >
> > Thanks a lot,
> >
> > -M.A

--0016363107a3f82e160493b16a5e

=A0stereo=A0vision is not an easy option, especially with my limited hardwa=
ting VSLAM with odometry or IMUs.=A0I have the odometry reading for my robo=
t.=A0How do I configure VSLAM to work with one camera and combine odometry =
/ IMU with VSLAM (what would be a simple algorithm for that)?=A0</div>
mera,is there any requirement regarding the baseline, resolution, frame rat=
e... for making it work with existing VSLAM stack?</div>
nolige <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:konolige at willowgarage.com">k=
l_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left=
:1ex;">
M.A. -<br>
VSLAM currently works only with stereo cameras. =A0VSLAM with monocular<br>
cameras is much less robust, unless it is augmented with other sensors<br>
such as odometry or IMUs.<br>
Using two webcams to make a stereo pair is difficult. =A0You have to:<br>
1. Make sure they&#39;re rigidly mounted<br>
2. Synchronize them<br>
Synchronization is difficult for standard webcams. =A0At the moment I<br>
don&#39;t think there are any cheap off-the-shelf stereo cams. =A0Here&#39;=
s one<br>
reference for a do-it-yourself:<br>
=3D"_blank">http://sszymczy.rootnode.net/index.php?menu=3Dprojects</a><br>
It would be nice to do some kind of VSLAM on the Create using odometry<br>
to help, but that would take some work.<br>
Cheers --Kurt<br>
On 10/27/2010 9:46 PM, Anh Nguyen wrote:<br>
&gt; Hi everyone,<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; I have a few questions about VSLAM. I am new to robotics and most of i=
ts<br>
&gt; terminologies so I would appreciate any references that may explain th=
e<br>
&gt; background needed to understand your answer :)<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; - Can I use ROS VLSAM stack using only one camera (a webcam on my<br>
&gt; netbook to be more specific).<br>
&gt; - If so how do I configure VSLAM to get this to work?<br>
&gt; - If not, can I add another external webcam and use them as a stereo<b=
r>
&gt; video system or do I have to purchase some commercial stereo camera? I=
f<br>
&gt; I have to purchase a commercial system, is there any =A0good one for &=
lt;<br>
&gt; $400 range?<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Has anyone tried to get VSLAM to work with iRobot Create? I spent the<=
br>
&gt; last few weeks creating a reduced version of the PrairieDog stack that=
&gt; work without the laser range finder and the stargazer, and mapped my<b=
r>
&gt; office using the robot&#39;s bumper sensor, only to realize that I can=
not<br>
&gt; rely solely on the robot&#39;s encoders for accurate localization.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Thanks a lot,<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; -M.A<br>