[ros-users] tf: making quaternion from rotation matrix

Adam Leeper aleeper at stanford.edu
Thu Sep 2 02:03:49 UTC 2010

Hello-

I might be missing something obvious, but I can't find any helper functions
for converting a rotation matrix to a quaternion.

I made a rotation matrix by choosing 3 basis vectors and putting them into a
btMatrix3x3 (or equivalently, a tf::Transform with 0 position offset).

I would like to just be able to just make a quaternion from this matrix.
Does tf really not have a helper function for this? All I find are
"createQuaternionFromRPY" sorts of functions, and Quaternion itself does not
have a constructor that accepts a rotation matrix.

Thanks,
Adam

Adam Leeper
Stanford University