[ros-users] Qt and mingw toolchain on ros (was communicating with windows)

Daniel Stonier d.stonier at gmail.com
Fri Sep 3 01:29:44 UTC 2010

On 24 August 2010 05:05, Alex Barvo <robotnv at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I even managed to get qt+mingw cross compiling, but qt isn't built well
>> for cross-compiling - required so many hard code hacks to make it build
>> properly I don't think I ever want to try sustaining
>
> that.
>
> Are you talking about Nokia's Qt library?
>
> If yes, then Qt library was build specifically for ease of cross-compiling.
> It should be very easy to cross-compile. It's just not obvious how to do it.
> They actually compile it by default with mingw. So I just confused by your
> statement.
>
>>I'd be interested to see how hard it is to cross-compile wxwidgets with
>> mingw.
>
> From what I keep hearing from other developers, Qt is a much nicer library
> then wxwidgets. I know several projects (including infamous VLC media player) that switched
> from wxwindows to Qt and never looked back.
>
> Is there something specific I can help with?

Hi Alex - sorry for the slow reply, got bombed day and night at work
and just emerging from my turtle shell again. If you have some advice
I might give it another go. Last time I tried, the toolchain didn't
deduce the platform correctly in some areas so some hacks had to be
made to the platform checking macros to get it to find the correct
windows implementations. This might be something peculiar to the mingw
toolchain, since the problems are related to macro checkers for
windows. Do you have any good references re cross compiling qt?

As far as choice of gui goes, both do the job I reckon - we're talking
about control here, not a business extravaganza showpiece. Wxwidgets
is intended to be small and light, qt intended to be more fully
featured + environment classes as well - both have a good context. We
were originally using qt before we started using the ros, so we just
stuck with what we knew.

Regards,
Daniel

--
Phone : +82-10-5400-3296 (010-5400-3296)
Home: http://snorriheim.dnsdojo.com/