[ros-users] ROS communication performance .

Konrad Banachowicz konradb3 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 9 18:48:39 UTC 2010

Dear all,
I recently done some testing on ROS communication performence.
There are the reesults :
                          throughput [MB/s]     time [s]           data [MB]
ROS                 7.25906                      4.827058      35.0399
raw TCP          56.8430                      8.387205      476.75466
POSIX MQ      124.36626                  3.834136      476.837158

That shows grate overhead of ROS communication.
I looked on code, I found that the communication code is very complicated
and contains many locks and queues. It's also integrate interprocess and
intraprocess communication. This with all callback stuff make whole
communication overcomplicated.

I think this show serious problem with design of whole network stack in ROS.

I will do some more testing.

Pozdrawiam
Konrad Banachowicz