[ros-users] Help with pr2_teleop

Nate throwawaynate2008 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 10 00:23:55 UTC 2010

I have a quick question about the pr2_teleop package that I'm hoping someone
can help with.

I am trying to use this node without the torso and head publishers, I only
need the Twist message published on cmd_vel. The docs say that not setting
the torso and head buttons will disable these publishers.

I don't set these params, but the publishers for head and torso publish
anyway. I don't have anything subscribing to them, so I get a crash. I
traced the crash back to the publishers for head and torso attempting to
publish to a non-existent topic. As a test, removing the lines of code that
do the publishing fix the problem.

Is there any way to disable these publishers without modifying the code? I'd
like to keep a vanilla pr2_teleop package on my system, but I need it to
work without torso and head topics available. I need to do this because I'm
working on a driver for a platform that is just a base as of right now, and
I'd like to just use pr2_teleop for some testing.

I launch the node as such in a launch file:

<node name="teleop" pkg="pr2_teleop" type="teleop_pr2">
     <param name="axis_vx" value="1" type="int" />
</node>

Thanks,
Nate