[ros-users] mk/download_unpack_build.mk broken?

Ruben Smits ruben.smits at mech.kuleuven.be
Fri Sep 10 09:10:49 UTC 2010

 Hi,

I'm trying to create a rospackage for an existing piece of
code.
I'm using mk/download_unpack_build.mk to do this:
<snip>
TARBALL = toolchain-2.0
TARBALL_URL = http://gitorious.org/orocos-
toolchain/rtt/archive-tarball/toolchain-2.0
SOURCE_DIR = orocos-toolchain-rtt
TARBALL_PATCH =
#INITIAL_DIR = orocos-toolchain-rtt

include $(shell rospack find mk)/download_unpack_build.mk
<snip>
 but I get the following error:

make
mkdir -p build
`rospack find rosbuild`/bin/download_checkmd5.py
http://gitorious.org/orocos-toolchain/rtt/archive-
tarball/toolchain-2.0 toolchain-2.0
[rosbuild] Downloading http://gitorious.org/orocos-
toolchain/rtt/archive-tarball/toolchain-2.0 to
toolchain-2.0...Done
touch -c toolchain-2.0
rm -rf orocos-toolchain-rtt
cd build; tar xzf ../toolchain-2.0
touch orocos-toolchain-rtt/unpacked
touch: cannot touch `orocos-toolchain-rtt/unpacked': No
such file or directory

After taking a look at mk/download_unpack_build.mk I noticed
the problem, its is unpacking the tarball into the build
directory, the result is that ${SOURCE_DIR} always needs the
build prefix? Is this intended, because it is very confusing as
the documentation does not explicity tell you that you need
to add the build prefix in your ${SOURCE_DIR}. The same
constraint holds for ${INITIAL_DIR}. (The example also has
the build prefix)

adding 'cd build ;' to all commands could fix the problem.

Ruben