[ros-users] Navigation Stack: the robot rotates most of the time after receiving a goal

XiaoJun Wu wu.xiaojun at gmail.com
Tue Sep 14 07:50:59 UTC 2010

Hi, all

I have been testing the navigation stack on our own robot but suffers such a
problem:

The testing environment is a small lab area, with a map captured using
gmapping. After launching robot_config.launch and move_base.launch, in rviz,
a 2D Nav Goal then is given to the robot. The robot will start moving, but
most of the time it keeps rotating itself unresonably. Ultimately the robot
can achieve the goal, although much longer time is consumed than expected.

Two video clips recording this strange behavior, one shoots the actual robot
and the other captures the rviz screen, are uploaded to youtube for easy
review.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRWvs9oXBl8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBD3lCyuILs

I also tried the teleop_joystick function from robotino_teleop package with
a logitech joystick. It works pretty well for both translational and
rotational movement. From this fact, I think that the low-level robot
control is of no problem, and most possibly the problem is from the
high-level motion planner.

I referred to the following post, which looks a bit similar to what I have
met,
http://ros-users.122217.n3.nabble.com/Navigation-stack-robot-starts-rotating-upon-recieving-goal-td819551.html#a819551
But in rviz, I didn't find obstacle that prevent the planner to find a path,
and I can't find the "move_base_node" which claims to hold the unknow-space
topic.

Any help or hints would be greatly appreciated!

The robot used here is a self-developed 4-wheel omnidirectional platform;
and I am using Boxturtule ROS, under Ubuntu 10.04.
Also listed here are the yaml files I used for navigation:

base_local_planner_params.yaml
------------------------------
TrajectoryPlannerROS:
  max_vel_x: 0.3
  min_vel_x: 0.1
  max_rotational_vel: 1.0
  min_in_place_rotational_vel: 0.5
  acc_lim_th: 2.0
  acc_lim_x: 1.5
  acc_lim_y: 1.5
  backup_vel: -0.1
  holonomic_robot: true
  y_vels: [-0.3, -0.1, 0.1, 0.3]
  dwa: true
  path_distance_bias: 0.5
  occdist_scale: 0.1
  heading_lookahead: 0.5
  heading_scoring: false #true
  yaw_goal_tolerance: 0.2
  xy_goal_tolerance: 0.1
  sim_time: 1.0
  sim_granularity: 0.025
  oscillation_reset_dist: 1 #0.05
  controller_frequency: 10

costmap_common_params.yaml
-------------------------
  obstacle_range: 2.5
  raytrace_range: 3.0
  robot_radius: 0.25
  inflation_radius: 0.3
  inscribed_radius: 0.25
  circumscribed_radius: 0.3
  observation_sources: laser_scan_sensor
  laser_scan_sensor: {sensor_frame: laser, data_type: LaserScan, topic:
scan, marking: true, clearing: true}

global_costmap_params.yaml
--------------------------
global_costmap: