[ros-users] VSLAM Demo

Parnian Alimi parnian at cs.ubc.ca
Mon Sep 27 04:55:26 UTC 2010

I've been using the visual system successfully for pose estimation with my
own camera.  I'm now trying to display visual odometry on a laser map using
an initial robot position, like you do in the test_bag.launch example.
However, there are a few things I noticed there.
Firstly, the robot initial position is shifted 90 degrees (it said so in the
comments as well), and I was wondering if that's just a bug in the initial
estimate or in the vslam code.  I tried fixing it with the right quaternion,
but I end up with a really weird path, so I'm guessing something else is
happening in the code or the wg_vslam.cfg I'm loading in rviz, that I'm not
aware of.
I've also been trying to run the test_bag.launch and wg_vslam.cfg files with
my own live data and laser map, but I get errors about missing
transformations that I guess your bag is publishing.  Would you be able to
provide more info on how to get that demo working?
Thanks!