[ros-users] urdf and tf questions

Ben Axelrod baxelrod at irobot.com
Wed Sep 29 14:58:30 UTC 2010

What is the typical usage when publishing transforms to match a urdf
file?   For example, the urdf file has the standard form:

Link1 -> Joint1 -> Link2 -> Joint2 -> Link3

In my code, I tf broadcast the joint angles.  (i.e. Link1 -> Joint1 and
Link2 -> Joint2).  But must I also broadcast the link transforms even
though they never change?  (i.e. Joint1 -> Link2 and Joint2 -> Link3).
Is there some way to avoid this?

But what I would REALLY like to do for now is just view the URDF file in
rviz.  But despite all origins being specified in the file, rviz says it
can't find the transforms between the objects.  Is there a simple URDF
file viewer (in boxturtle)?

Thanks,
-Ben

--