[ros-users] pcl model coefficients definitions

Radu Bogdan Rusu rusu at willowgarage.com
Thu Sep 2 06:33:09 UTC 2010

On 09/01/2010 11:23 PM, Adam Leeper wrote:
> I put an edited portion of model_types.h on the wiki, along with my
> in-line comments about the number and types of model coefficients.
>
> http://www.ros.org/wiki/pcl/Tutorials/sac_model_coefficients

Thanks a lot! Super useful! Can you link it to the main web page too where we have the models explained? We really need
to change the structure of these web pages... i'm starting to dislike the wiki a bit, but we'll find ways around it.
Maybe we need to define some sections (per library: Filtering, Feature Estimation, Segmentation, etc) and then write
separate pages for each.

> After digging around in the source for a while I've come to the
> conclusion that some of the segmentation models are not implemented. Is
> that true, or did I miss them somewhere?

You're right. Cone and torus are placeholders right now. It's super hard to find perfect shapes like this in the world,
and their mathematical models are more complicated. :( Even with synthetic data, a cylinder model will always respond
stronger than a cone model in most cases... We could look into reimplementing them however if there's great interest.

> Also, after digging around in the source, it made me appreciate even
> more how cool pcl is. Nice job Radu :)

Many thanks. :bow: :)

Cheers,
Radu.