[ros-users] error massage with rospack

Brian Gerkey gerkey at willowgarage.com
Thu Sep 2 21:04:02 UTC 2010

On Thu, Sep 2, 2010 at 8:39 AM, Cedric Pradalier
<cedric.pradalier at mavt.ethz.ch> wrote:
> That actually raises a question: what is the recommended procedure on a
> read-only system. Is it better to put the cache on a tmpfs mount or is
> it possible to generate the cache once and for all, and use it afterward?

Either one should work, though I haven't tried them.  To avoid the
chance of having stale data in the cache, I would go for the tmpfs
solution (I know that it's a read-only filesystem, but bad cached
values are a pain to debug).

Note that for the one-time cache to work, you need to set
ROS_CACHE_TIMEOUT=-1.0 in the environment.  Otherwise, rospack will
keep trying to rebuild the cache (and won't use the cached values).

	brian.