[ros-users] navigation stack : changing inflation_radius

Eitan Marder-Eppstein eitan at willowgarage.com
Thu Sep 2 23:24:41 UTC 2010

Kei,

The robot has two recovery behaviors by default.

The clear_costmap_recovery: http://www.ros.org/wiki/clear_costmap_recovery
The rotate_recovery: http://www.ros.org/wiki/rotate_recovery

Note that the rotate recovery will only run when it is safe for the robot to
rotate in place. So, in the case that the robot is surrounded by people, it
may not run.  Also, there are two different versions of the
clear_costmap_recovery that run. One which clears out old obstacles outside
of a conservative radius, and one that clears out old obstacles outside of a
much more aggressive radius. For more information see:
http://www.ros.org/wiki/move_base#Parameters

If you receive the message you posted above, it most likely means that the
rotate_recovery_behavior did not think the robot could rotate in place
safely, but they should have run. Turning on the DEBUG log level on
move_base would verify this.

Hope this helps,

Eitan