[ros-users] Nav Stack with nonholonomic robots

Christian Verbeek verbeek at servicerobotics.eu
Sat Sep 4 07:12:41 UTC 2010

 I am using move_base for driving a robot with non holonomic drive. I
found the performance to be poor to wholly unacceptable. I played around
with the parameters for quite a time and was not able to find a
satisfactory setting. The problem with the parameters is that I most of
the time I can not see a difference at all when changing something.

My impression is that the navigation stack works in tidy and roomy
environments. But in real world settings with narrow passages and stuff
standing around performance drops dramatically. I tried this both woth
boxturtle and latest cturtle and can not see any improvements. The
navigation (which is in my eyes the most basic behaviour) is so to say
still unsolved for real world environments.

Regards
Christian