[ros-users] Different maps for navigation and path planning

Adam Stambler adasta at gmail.com
Mon Sep 6 16:18:34 UTC 2010

Hi Christian,

You had the right idea, but there is an easier way.  With ROS, topics names,
node names, and parameters names can all be remapped to other names.  You
can do this because the nodes query the master for the names value.

So you can remap map to planner_map in the launch file by doing
<remap from="map" to="planner_map"/>

There is more info on the wiki <http://www.ros.org/wiki/roslaunch/XML/remap>.
 It is a really useful thing to know as you will have to do a bunch of
modifications like this to glue together the various ros components you are
using.

Regards,
Adam