[ros-users] ogre_tools broken on CTurtle/Snow leopard

Patrick Doyle wpdster at gmail.com
Fri Sep 10 11:27:50 UTC 2010

Hello Deepak,
I am a newcomer to ROS, having only heard about it last week.  I
believe that I will need to run the PR2 simulation environment for a
course that I am taking and I would very much like to do so on my
MacBook.  From this email thread, it seems that you might be in the
same situation.

It seems to me that you are following some script in order to bring up
ROS on your Mac.  Do you mind if I ask you a few questions?

Can you tell me what script you are following?  (It might be one of
your own devising).  I followed the "script" (i.e. installation
instructions) given in the wiki at
http://www.ros.org/wiki/cturtle/Installation/OSX and started trying to
step through the tutorials, but failed at the step that said:

$ rosdep install turtle_teleop rxtools

That step failed, trying to load bluez, libbluetooth-dev, etc...

Keeping in mind that I am a complete newbie, it seems that I haven't
even gotten to the step of trying to do anything specific for the PR2.
 This all seems to be very generic stuff, and I can't even get that to
work.

Since that time, I found some wiki pages specific to the PR2, and
tried bringing up the PR2 environment inside a VMWare box (running
Ubuntu), but it seems that the 3D rendering doesn't work.  I have also
just noticed (with great interest) your thread on the mailing list.
It seems that you are trying to do the same thing.

I wonder if (at least) I can learn from you and/or (at best) we could
collaborate in making this work for each of us.

Do you mind if I ask you what you mean by the opening line of your
email post: "CTurtle is now successfully installed on Mac OS X 10.6"
Do you mean that you followed the Mac OS X installation instructions
and everything went fine?  Or did you do something else?  Did you step
through the tutorials?  Did you run into and/or avoid and/or solve the
dependency issues for turtle_teleop?

I'm sorry for asking you so many questions...but right now I don't
know what I don't know

--wpd