[ros-users] OSError: [Errno 13] Permission denied

Adam Leeper aleeper at stanford.edu
Sun Sep 12 04:32:11 UTC 2010

Hi-

The ROS installation in /opt is protected, like other system files, to
prevent undesired changes.

You can create all your ros packages in your home directory, for example:
cd ~/
mkdir ros

Before you can use ros tools in this directory, you need to add it to the
front of your ros package path. The following line can be typed into the
terminal, or added to the bottom of your ~/.bashrc file to automatically add
the path each time you open a terminal:
export ROS_PACKAGE_PATH=~/ros:$ROS_PACKAGE_PATH

Then:
cd ~/ros
roscreate-pkg beginner_tutorials std_msgs rospy roscpp

Hope that helps,
--Adam

Adam Leeper
Stanford University