[ros-users] (no subject)

Andreas Tropschug tropschu at in.tum.de
Tue Sep 14 10:07:57 UTC 2010

  Hello fellow ros users,

I have a question/petition regarding the interface of costmap_2d.

In short:
publicise Costmap2D::raytraceLine(ActionType at, x0, y0, ...)

Rationale:
Since raytracing is an often used way of getting information out of a
rasterized image, it seems reasonable to make this public. Maybe
only in a read-only fashion.
ActionType should get a copy, not a reference to the cell, ensuring
consistency.

Using Costmap::getCharMap() throws away any kind of encapsulation, so
I only see it as an emergency tool.

Writing my own (or reusing some other) implementation of Bresenham seems
a bit ugly when there is one already there that is tried, tested and
optimized
for this particular data structure.

If you agree and want me to formulate a patch, I would be happy to help.

Thx,
Andreas T.