[ros-users] c-snail

John Hsu johnhsu at willowgarage.com
Tue Sep 14 18:03:00 UTC 2010

Hi Alex,

Sounds like either more cores or more machines will help your situation.  If
you opt to get multiple machines, just watch out for network connection
speeds especially if you need to transport large image or point cloud data
across multiple computers over wifi.

If you want portability, Adam's data point matches mine, as I think we have
the same laptop :).

We are currently experimenting with different ways of speeding up simulation
by means of offloading calculations onto gpu or additional cores, but for
now gazebo will take somewhere between 1.5 to 2 cores.  Given your situation
you might benefit from an option to run gazebo in a single thread; then you
can further restrict updateRate to control overall simulation cpu usage.
I've ticketed myself here:

https://code.ros.org/trac/ros-pkg/ticket/4429

What is the scene you are trying to simulate?
John