[ros-users] Tutorials

Melonee Wise mwise at willowgarage.com
Wed Sep 15 04:09:24 UTC 2010

Hi William -

This error occurs when a user tries to create the beginner_tutorials package
in a write protected directory, such as in the example link you provided
/opt/ros/cturtle/stacks. There is no package in the repo called
beginner_tutorials, a user needs to create the beginner_tutorials package
somewhere they have write permissions, say for example a home directory.
After the user has created the package, they will need to follow the rest of
the tutorial to add the package path to your ROS_PACKAGE_PATH. As suggested
in the nabble link you provided.

The tutorials are an editable part of the wiki and everyone from the
community is welcome contribute and make changes when needed. BUT it is very
important that the changes you make to the wiki are the correct solution to
the problem you encounter when using or learning ROS. If you are unsure,
send a message to ROS users and the community will help you and/or update
the wiki.

-Melonee
--
Senior Engineer