[ros-users] actionlib design questions

Enea Scioni enea.scioni at student.unife.it
Wed Sep 15 12:52:55 UTC 2010

HI all,

I'm following this topic but I'm also a bit confused..
In order to manage the whole system, composed as hundreds nodes, should I
use SMACH (instead actionlib)?
What is the " best practice " that ROS suggest? When should I use actionlib
and when SMACH?

Starting from the documentation (and my experiments), in a nutshell I see
actionlib more similar to a ROS Service, but with added features, as
possibilities to receive a feedback, delete the request and so on; to do
that actionlib use/implement an "internal" state machine in order to manage
the communication protocol on topic between the Action Server and Action
Client.
Is it true or I'm making a mistake?

Regards,
Enea Scioni