[ros-users] actionlib design questions

Herman Bruyninckx Herman.Bruyninckx at mech.kuleuven.be
Wed Sep 15 18:42:05 UTC 2010

On Wed, 15 Sep 2010, Tully Foote wrote:

> SMACH is the recommended way to coordinate complex systems.  actions using
> actionlib are commonly used as states within SMACH.
> actions are as you say very similar to services in their use but have more
> control and feedback.  SMACH is designed to work as a coordination engine,
> strongly based on a state machine.  SMACH has been designed that it is
> trivial to use an action as a state within a SMACH state machine.  Thus we
> use SMACH and actionlib at the same time.

So why are they implemented in two separate code trees? Why do they not
share everything they could share? (Which is a lot, because coordination
with state machines _is_ coordination with state machines, whether inside
or outside of a certain context...) Legacy? Developer communication short
circuits? Bouncing egos? Not Invented Here Syndrome? :-)))

I'm joking of course, but I do wonder what the real differences are, since
I do not see the case for two fully separated libraries...

> Tully

Herman

--
   K.U.Leuven, Mechanical Eng., Mechatronics & Robotics Research Group
     <http://people.mech.kuleuven.be/~bruyninc> Tel: +32 16 328056