[ros-users] Serial Port Problems

Daniel Stonier d.stonier at gmail.com
Fri Sep 17 01:01:01 UTC 2010

We were reinventing this wheel too often, so wrote some standard
device classes customised for control (this kind of thing). If you
want to grab the serial class files, or use the repo, you're welcome
to it.

http://snorriheim.dnsdojo.com/redmine/embedded/ecl/ecl_devices/html/classecl_1_1Serial.html

(serial_pos.hpp and serial_pos.cpp should be simple to convert to
whatever you need).

I didn't know you could lock them, that was a nice piece of
information from this, cheers!

On 16 September 2010 02:26, Blaise Gassend <blaise at willowgarage.com> wrote:
> Along the same lines, the hokuyo_node, and the microstrain_3dmgx_imu
> node contain serial code that has proven to be fairly robust for us.
> There may be code snippets in there that are revelant for you,
> particularly pertaining to problems like:
> - Locking the port.
> - Timeouts.
> - Not making the serial port become your controlling TTY (leads to
> SIGHUP when you get unplugged).
>
> On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 9:40 AM, Bill Morris <morris at ee.ccny.cuny.edu> wrote:
>> On Wed, 2010-09-15 at 09:45 -0600, Titus Appel wrote:
>>> Any help would be appreciated.
>>
>> It's a little off topic but Writing serial port code is often painful so
>> I'll throw this out there.
>>
>> http://www.easysw.com/~mike/serial/serial.html
>>

>> It was helpful for writing the serial code for our AscTec Quadrotor
>> Driver. The following may be a useful example in that is has working
>> serial port code for a ROS driver. It might not be useful because it
>> needs to be fairly complicated to be robust to low quality zigbee
>> wireless links.
>>
>> http://www.ros.org/wiki/asctec_autopilot

Phone : +82-10-5400-3296 (010-5400-3296)
Home: http://snorriheim.dnsdojo.com/
Yujin Robot: http://www.yujinrobot.com/
Embedded Control Libraries: http://snorriheim.dnsdojo.com/redmine/wiki/ecl