[ros-users] Navigation Stack: the robot rotates most of the time after receiving a goal

clarkwu wu.xiaojun at gmail.com
Fri Sep 17 09:44:39 UTC 2010

Hi, Eitan and Brian,

I did some further tests
(1) verify odometry
run ros with map off and amcl unloaded; in rviz, set both fixed frame and
target frame to odom, laser scan decay = 0; drive robot with joystick.
Here is what I observed in rviz window: when the robot moves forward
following operation cmd from joystick, the laser scan points also move
forward together with the robot, rather than staying statically in the field
(which is supposed to be); and so does when rotating.

A video clip is provided for reference:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRxrLVh59AY

What could be the reason for this phenomenon? I double checked the odometry
publishing and tf between base_link/laser, yet can not find out.

(2)
Previously, a Fitpc-2 is put onboard the robot and running ros with
robot-config & move_base, while rviz is running on a seperate laptop.
I replaced the Fitpc with a third laptop with duo-core cpu, and ran the test
again. All the symptoms are still there. So I think CPU over-load is not the
reason.

any hints?

thanks
xiaojun