[ros-users] Navigation stack not working

Eric Perko wisesage5001 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 20 06:08:19 UTC 2010

Prasad,

I routinely run with a map of size 4000x4000 pixels on an i7 920 with 6gb of
RAM. I do have to set the publish_frequency to 0 and the update_frequency to
1 in order to avoid loop rate warnings for the global costmap. I've never
actually seen the large costmap hang the system, just generate a lot of
warnings.

Try setting the publish_frequency to 0 for the global costmap on a larger
map. I've found that, because the voxel grid doesn't seem to track unknown
space by default (or at all?), publishing the obstacles for the 4000x4000
map is intensive, as the majority of the map is marked as unknown and is
published as an obstacle. Perhaps Eitan has some ideas about the unknown
space being published as an obstacle with voxel grids and how to avoid that?

- Eric