[ros-users] costmap_2d questions

Eitan Marder-Eppstein eitan at willowgarage.com
Mon Sep 20 18:13:32 UTC 2010

Jack,

I'm sorry that you haven't found the documentation on the costmap to be
up-to-snuff, though we've tried to put enough information on there to get
people up and running. There aren't other docs besides those that you see
here: http://www.ros.org/wiki/costmap_2d and here:
http://www.ros.org/doc/api/costmap_2d/html/.... so if you've found those,
there's not much else out there besides example code.

I had hoped that the obervation_sources section of the sensor management
parameters documentation (
http://www.ros.org/wiki/costmap_2d#Sensor_management_parameters) would take
care of the distinction between the <name> and <source_name> namespace
distinction, but perhaps that section is unclear? Or was it just lost in the
noise? I can work to make it better or more prominent, but it would be
useful first to know which was the reason for it being so confusing.

You're right in your recollection about max_range readings being treated as
unknown. If you want the costmap to use this information differently, you'll
have to write a laser filter that takes max_range values in your laser scan
and assigns them slightly less than max_range values. When we've done this,
we typically set up one observation_source that only puts marking
information into the costmap that uses the unfiltered scan and one
observation_source that clears obstacle information in the costmap and uses
the filtered scan topic. In this way, we don't put max range hits in as
obstacles, but we do use them to clear obstacles out.

Hopefully this helps, if you have suggestions for specific documentation
that you'd like to see, do let me know. Also, if you'd like to document your
experience getting the costmap up and running standalone in tutorial form on
the wiki, I'd be more than happy to look it over.

Hope all is well,

Eitan