[ros-users] Navigation stack not working

Eitan Marder-Eppstein eitan at willowgarage.com
Mon Sep 20 18:33:14 UTC 2010

Eric,

On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 11:19 AM, Eric Perko <wisesage5001 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Eitan,
>
> On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 1:49 PM, Eitan Marder-Eppstein <
> eitan at willowgarage.com> wrote:
>
>> Prasad,
>>
>> Sorry for joining the discussion a bit late.
>>
>> A couple of things:
>>
>> 1) The voxel grid tracks unknown space, but its not published in the
>> visualization of the grid. It was just too many cells to render. If you want
>> to see the 2D projection of unknown space in the voxel grid, you can
>> subscribe to the unknown_space topic of the relevant costmap.
>>

> Is this true even if the information comes from the static map? I'm 99%
> sure we saw all of the unknown space in the static map be reported on the
> /obstacles topic as an obstacle; even after playing around with some of the
> parameters for the voxel grid that had to do with unknown space, we still
> had that problem. This was using a map that came from GMapping and the
> OccupancyGrid from map_server seemed to have plenty of -1's in it (so it did
> have the proper thresholds). Needless to say, seeing the majority of a
> 4000x4000 map all reported as obstacle is a bit intensive...

Did you set the unknown_cost_value parameter? (
http://www.ros.org/wiki/costmap_2d#Map_management_parameters). If this is
set, and your costmap is tracking unknown space, you should be able to get
the costmap to load unknown cells from the static map. If that's not the
case, then its a bug in the costmap that I need to track down. Leaving the
unknown_cost_value parameter at zero does default to unknown cells being set
to occupied in the costmap, so its possible that's what was happening to
you.

Let me know how it goes,

Eitan