[ros-users] costmap_2d questions

Jack O'Quin jack.oquin at gmail.com
Tue Sep 21 21:51:18 UTC 2010

On Tue, Sep 21, 2010 at 4:06 PM, Eric Perko <wisesage5001 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 21, 2010 at 3:01 PM, Jack O'Quin <jack.oquin at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Has there been any consideration of accepting nav_msgs/OccupancyGrid
>> or nav_msgs/GridCells as input?
>
> We're actually working on a node to turn OccupancyGrid messages into
> PointClouds, which are then fed into the costmap. Once we get it finished,
> tested and some usage documentation done, we'll be sharing it.

Thanks.

I don't have any immediate need for it. Mainly, I am trying to
understand the larger picture of how the occupancy grid fits into the
whole system. A large O-grid is hard to share over TCP connections
(except infrequently). PointClouds tend to get big, too. Nodelets seem
to offer higher bandwidth in certain useful cases, but not all.

I am still somewhat confused about how these various messages are
intended to be used in combination. When would we publish an
OccupancyGrid versus GridCells or PointCloud?
--
 joq