[ros-users] Using Bumblebee Xb3 with image_pipeline

Patrick Mihelich mihelich at willowgarage.com
Wed Sep 22 23:12:27 UTC 2010

On Wed, Sep 22, 2010 at 5:06 AM, Paul Furgale <paul.furgale at utoronto.ca>wrote:

> Is it possible to get the same effect by sending a CameraInfo message only
> when calibration parameters change?

This would be a major design change to the image_pipeline. Sending a
CameraInfo on change only introduces a synchronization problem; how does the
subscriber synch the new parameters with the correct image? Since CameraInfo
is lightweight compared to Image, we decided to just pay the (low) cost of
sending it every time.

Certainly your way could be made to work, it just makes the code more
complicated and we haven't found it necessary. If you write your own
specialized rectification nodelet, of course you could use whatever side
channel you want for expensive updates.

> For Diamondback I'm planning to refactor the image_pipeline into nodelets.
>
> That sounds great! If I do end up going the route of reproducing the
> functionality of stereo_image_proc, I'd like to do that on the first pass.
> This will avoid extra work when Diamondback comes out. Is there a roadmap
> available for what this will look like?

The rough schedule for Diamondback work is at
http://www.ros.org/wiki/diamondback/Planning. The image_pipeline work should
be done by November. At some point I'll draw up a more formal design
document, but the breakdown will look something like:

Nodelets for:
 * Color processing: image_raw -> image, image_color
 * Rectification: image -> image_rect
 * Stereo correlation: left/image_rect, right/image_rect -> disparity
 * Point cloud: disparity -> points, points2

Patrick