[ros-users] costmap_2d questions

Jack O'Quin jack.oquin at gmail.com
Thu Sep 23 19:49:30 UTC 2010

On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 11:46 AM, Eitan Marder-Eppstein
<eitan at willowgarage.com> wrote:
> Jack,
> The filtering of max_range points out of the laser scan occurs when the
> LaserScan is projected into a PointCloud. Once the costmap gets the cloud,
> there's no information about what max_range would be... so there's not
> really an easy patch for that.

The Velodyne is publishes a PointCloud, not a LaserScan. I was
expecting costmap_2d to handle the PointCloud input directly.

So, max_range is not used for PointCloud data?

I just realized that the PointCloud I am feeding the costmap does not
contain points where no obstacles were seen. I'm confusing myself,
probably from our old code that down-sampled Velodyne input in to a
fake laser scan.

Back to the drawing board...
--
 joq