[ros-users] Pan Tilt Unit in Simulation

John Hsu johnhsu at willowgarage.com
Sat Sep 25 21:45:39 UTC 2010

Hi Marc,

There are at least two ways to model the pan-tile camera.

You can create an urdf model similar to the head on the PR2 with just one
sensor and instantiate two controllers (probably joint_position_controllers)
from the robot_mechanism_controllers<http://ros.org/wiki/robot_mechanism_controllers>class,
and use the
pr2_controllers <http://ros.org/wiki/pr2_controllers> stack to send position
commands to your camera.  In that case, you can check out the single
actuated link simulation tutorial to
start.<http://www.ros.org/wiki/pr2_simulator/Tutorials/Pendulums>

Alternatively, gazebo has a built-in ptz controller, which you can use
directly and talk over the gazebo I-face, however, it should not be too much
additional effort to write a custom
gazebo_plugin<http://ros.org/wiki/gazebo_plugins>(see
GazeboRosTemplate plugin) to do the same over ros topic, service or action.

Let me know if this helps.
John