[ros-users] Fail to compile cturtle from source using distcc

Brian Gerkey gerkey at willowgarage.com
Mon Sep 27 15:26:13 UTC 2010

On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 7:46 AM, Tinne De Laet
<tinne.delaet at mech.kuleuven.be> wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 16:37, Brian Gerkey <gerkey at willowgarage.com> wrote:
>>
>> Looks like there's something wrong with your distcc setup.  Try
>> running distcc directly on a simple C file; I expect that you'll see
>> an error of some sort.  Once you've worked that out, try the ROS build
>> again.
>
> I did some other tests already (before bothering the ros mailinglist
> with this problem).
> I can make all the other examples I tried with distcc (for instance
> rtt_2.0 and ocl_2.0).
> I only get a message saying that one of the computers I try to
> distribute to is offline , but this does not cause my build to fail.
> (distcc[21499] (dcc_select_for_write) ERROR: IO timeout
> distcc[21499] ERROR: timeout while connecting to 192.168.10.94:3632
> distcc[21499] Warning: failed to distribute
> /home/fiep/src/svn/twoLevelMTTL-ros/packages/kul-ros-pkg/stacks/orocos_toolchain_ros/trunk/ocl/build/orocos-toolchain-ocl/taskbrowser/TaskBrowser.cpp
> to pma-09-040, running locally instead
> )
> Maybe the test that is failing during the ros installation is just to
> strict about this error?

hi Tinne,

This error looks to be the problem:

 distcc[27536] (main) CRITICAL! distcc seems to have invoked itself recursively!

I don't have distcc configured properly, but I see the same error if I
do something like 'distcc distcc -c foo.c'.

I can also elicit that error with the following environment setup:

$ export CCACHE_PREFIX=distcc
$ export PATH=/usr/lib/distcc:$PATH
$ gcc -c foo.c
distcc[2168] (dcc_build_somewhere) Warning: failed to distribute,
running locally instead
distcc[2177] (main) CRITICAL! distcc seems to have invoked itself recursively!
distcc[2176] (main) CRITICAL! distcc seems to have invoked itself recursively!
distcc[2168] ERROR: compile foo.c on localhost failed with exit code 111

Perhaps /usr/lib/distcc appears early in your PATH (which would cause
distcc's compiler wrappers to be found first) and CCACHE_PREFIX is set
to distcc?  That seems to be an invalid configuration.

	brian.