[ros-users] Simple navigation with USB-WebCAM

Adam Leeper aleeper at stanford.edu
Mon Sep 27 19:45:22 UTC 2010

Hi Christian-

A cheap, easy stereo webcam is available from Minoru.
http://www.minoru3d.com/
It is about $60 on Amazon. It has a 6cm baseline, which makes it useful for
stereo range sensing in the range of about 30cm to a few meters.

Using the uvc_stereo package from umd-ros-pkg, it is straightforward to get
the stereo image feed and camera info published on ROS, and then all the
calibration and processing pipeline pieces work too.

The main disadvantage of these solutions, however, is that webcameras use a
rolling shutter, which means your stereo data is only reliable when the
camera and scene are static. Any motion, especially fast motion, will cause
skew in the image, which causes unreliable variations in the computed
distance to points. I'm not sure how this would affect your efforts to
navigate... I've been using stereo webcam stuff for mostly static analysis.

--Adam

Adam Leeper
Stanford University
aleeper at stanford.edu