[ros-users] SpawningObjectInSimulation

Patrick Doyle wpdster at gmail.com
Mon Sep 27 23:42:51 UTC 2010

On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 7:01 PM, John Hsu <johnhsu at willowgarage.com> wrote:
> Hi Patrick,
> I forgot to mention you can run headless if you don't need sensor
> generation:
> http://www.ros.org/wiki/simulator_gazebo/Tutorials/RunningSimulatorHeadless
> John
Thanks.  I found that page already.  I've had some reasonable success
running gazebo headless in my VMWare box and seeing the world through
the camera view of rviz.  It is incredibly slow on my poor little
Macbook, but it's much more convenient than dragging a 450lb PR2 on
the commuter train with me :-)

And I can boot Ubuntu natively(*) on my Macbook if I'm not sure if
there's something funny going on with the VMWare environment.

(*) If anybody else on this list has dual/triple booted Ubuntu & MacOS
on a Macbook5,2, I would love to chat with you about that.  I have yet
to figure out how to enable the 2nd core.

--wpd