[ros-users] Experimental Results Repository

Brian Gerkey gerkey at willowgarage.com
Wed Sep 29 23:54:37 UTC 2010

On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 2:57 PM, Ivan Dryanovski
<ivan.dryanovski at gmail.com> wrote:
> I ran into an svn versioning issue.
>
> I am using the following command to get the svn revisions:
>
> ./unwrap_externals.py
> https://code.ros.org/svn/ros-pkg/externals/latest/ >
> icra2011_dryanovski.rosconfig

You probably want to unwrap the cturtle external instead, e.g.:

./unwrap_externals.py
https://code.ros.org/svn/ros-pkg/externals/distro/cturtle/all >
icra2011_dryanovski.rosconfig

In general, you'd want to unwrap the external from which you'd checked
out the code.

Now that I think about it, there's a potential mismatch between the
version currently pointed to by the external and the version that was
used.    A while back, I wrote a script to rummage over your
ROS_PACKAGE_PATH, and produce a rosinstall file that would check out
the same stuff that you currently have checked out (assuming that it
all came from SVN).  I can't find that script now, but it would be
easy to reproduce.

But still we're talking about doing work from a source-based install,
which is (hopefully) becoming less common as the binary packages are
gaining traction (at least for people running Ubuntu).

It seems like, to record the software that makes up your experimental
environment, you need to know:
 * the versions of all released stacks in use
 * the svn/git/bzr/hg URI and revision/branch/hash info for everything else.
(To be complete, you could record the version of the Linux kernel and
so on, but we have to bottom out somewhere.)  So perhaps we need a
tool that gathers that information....

	brian.