[ros-users] Ros on Windows

Jonathan Bohren jbohren at willowgarage.com
Sat Apr 2 22:19:26 UTC 2011

All,

I was looking at the documentation for getting ROS running on Windows, and
it was mentioned somewhere that one of the issues is that there's no
open-source dependency management on Windows. After a brief search, I came
across a new (very new) MS-supported initiative called "CoApp" (Common
Application Publishing Platform). It's basically a package manager for
open-source software on Windows. It seems like they're still in the very
early stages of designing the system, but it's clear that they've both put a
lot of thought into it already and have the experience and support to
actually make it a reality.

Has anyone looked into this already? It seems like it could really be a boon
for the development of an easy and viable ROS environment on Windows (since
we've all been spoiled by the debian package manager), and if anyone is
interested, it might be worth getting involved in their design discussions.

For more info, see: http://coapp.org/ and
http://coapp.org/Getting_Started/CoApp_Project_Governance

best,
-j