[ros-users] Coordinate frames for robot vs world

hitesh dhiman hitesh.dhiman.1988 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 5 18:45:52 UTC 2011

Hi all,
>From the wiki, the robot is using a front-x, left-y coordinate convention.
In rviz upon start, my robot faces in the front direction as the laser scan
data is towards the forward direction. But when I give a goal, for example x
= 1, y = 0 to frame base_link using simple_navigation_goals, which means it
should move forward 1m, it is displayed 1m to the right of the robot on the
odom (world) frame in rviz. In order to move the robot 1m forward, I have to
give a y = 1, x = 0 goal. It seems the odom frame is following a x-right,
y-front coordinate system.
Is there a 90 degrees rotation between the two frames? This means that all
velocities and distances reported by odometry have to be rotated 90 degrees
clockwise? Or am I doing something wrong?

--
Regards,
Hitesh Dhiman