[ros-users] swissranger_camera nodelet?

Gonçalo Cabrita goncabrita at gmail.com
Fri Apr 29 10:51:36 UTC 2011

Hi everyone!

I have a swissranger SR4000 3D camera that I mounted on an erratic and I
would like to use it for navigation instead of a laser.

I changed the navigation configuration files to input a point cloud instead
of a laser scan, however since I'm using amcl for localization I kind of
need a laser scan!

So I checked the turtlebot stack to see how you guys do it with the kinect
and I found out you have a nodelet that turns a point cloud into a virtual
laser scan.

Now my problem is the kinect driver is a nodelet, and the swissranger driver
node is not. I am aware of what nodelets are, however I have never looked
into them.

In order to use the point cloud to laser nodelet should I create a nodelet
version of the swissranger_camera node? Or is it better to make a node
version of the point cloud to laser nodelet? Or am I missing something and I
can make it work without having to modify anything?

And should this go to answers.ros.org?

Thanks for the help in advance,

Gonçalo Cabrita
ISR University of Coimbra