[ros-users] Generate rosinstall file from package?

Rosen Diankov rosen.diankov at gmail.com
Sat Apr 30 14:08:26 UTC 2011

Hi all,

We would like to setup our own test sever that checks out the minimal
ROS tree necessary for a package we want to test, and builds the
necessary packages. The problem is that our development ROS directory
holds a lot of packages, most of them are really not necessary for
testing a particular package. So we don't want our testing server to
be checking out 800+ packages, when only 50 are necessary to build and
test things.

It would be great if there was a command tool like ros-createinstall
that generates the minimal .rosinstall file containing all
debian/subversion/git/mercurial/bzr repositories to build mypackage.

we would ideally use it like this:

ros-createinstall mypackage > mypackage.rosinstall

then on the test server side we would always call:

rosinstall ~/test mypackage.rosinstall
source ..
rosmake --rosdep-install --rosdep-yes mypackage

is something like this possible?
thank you,
rosen,