[ros-users] Help installing third party stacks/packages

Tully Foote tfoote at willowgarage.com
Mon Apr 4 17:40:01 UTC 2011

Currently we use a rosinstall generator for the source based install
instructions [1] which you could reuse. They use a server side generator at
this url:

http://packages.ros.org/cgi-bin/gen_rosinstall.py?rosdistro=diamondback&variant=desktop-full&overlay=no

Where it supports variants in the rosdistro files as defined by REP 108 [2]
for diamondback.  And the overlay option says whether to generate the full
dependency list or just the variant requested.

We are working on a tool to make this much cleaner.  Hopefully this can be
helpful for now.

Tully

[1] http://www.ros.org/wiki/diamondback/Installation/Ubuntu/Source
[2] http://www.ros.org/reps/rep-0108.html

On Sun, Apr 3, 2011 at 9:17 PM, Ken Conley <kwc at willowgarage.com> wrote:

> There is work in this area, but it's more complicated than it seems.
>
>  - Ken
>
> On Sun, Apr 3, 2011 at 9:12 PM, Tom Birch <froody at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Ah thanks! This really seems like something rosinstall should be doing.
>>
>> cheers,
>> Tom

>>> all of
>>> but I
>>> "roslocate
>>> that
>>> why
>>> because
>>> trivial
>>>
>>> There is a relatively detailed explanation here...
>>>
>>>  http://answers.ros.org/question/165/for-new-package-downloading
>>> --
>>>  joq

Tully Foote