[ros-users] Nao stack v0.3 released

cyril.L cyrril at gmail.com
Thu Apr 7 15:26:09 UTC 2011

Taylor, NAO's camera / ROS Image bridge can be done easily.
In my current experimental setup, a ROS master runs on a PC, some nodes runs on NAO.
I made this camera bridge running on NAO, but I guess it can work remotely although I don't know if it will lag.

http://pastebin.com/vUh459KB

You will need to add the following in your CMakeLists.txt (you can also convert it in python :p)
rosbuild_add_executable(camera src/camera.cpp)
use_lib(camera ALCOMMON)

For those interested, I get mono 160x120 raw ROS images in real time over a wireless network, 320x240 works pretty well too.
Unfortunately image transport can't help here, compression on NAO takes more time than sending the raw image...
Let me know if getting images through a remote NaoQi works well.

An other thing regarding ROS cross compilation, apr, apr-utils and logcxx were already installed on my NAO (1.10.21).

Thanks for the great work Armin!

cyril