[ros-users] Nao stack v0.3 released

Armin Hornung HornungA at informatik.uni-freiburg.de
Thu Apr 7 20:21:27 UTC 2011

On 04/07/2011 08:26 AM, cyril.L wrote:
> Taylor, NAO's camera / ROS Image bridge can be done easily.
> In my current experimental setup, a ROS master runs on a PC, some nodes runs on NAO.
> I made this camera bridge running on NAO, but I guess it can work remotely although I don't know if it will lag.
>
> http://pastebin.com/vUh459KB
>
> You will need to add the following in your CMakeLists.txt (you can also convert it in python :p)
> rosbuild_add_executable(camera src/camera.cpp)
> use_lib(camera ALCOMMON)
>
> For those interested, I get mono 160x120 raw ROS images in real time over a wireless network, 320x240 works pretty well too.
> Unfortunately image transport can't help here, compression on NAO takes more time than sending the raw image...
That looks really useful! We only had a simple wrapper so far which was
slower than that (realtime framerate only in b/w over wireless). Remote
NaoQI connection (over wireless) was a lot slower, as the data is not
sent as efficiently as with ROS. But we made the same observation
regarding compression: When uncompressed, wireless is the bottleneck,
but for compressed transport it's the Nao's CPU.

A local camera access module (as opposed to remote on the robot) would
probably work even better, but we haven't gotten that far yet with
crosscompilation (that was with 1.6). But maybe that will all improve
once there is official ROS support on the Nao.

Any chance you could add dynamic_reconfigure access to the parameters
(resolution, camera selection, color space)? Then we would have a
full-blown camera driver for the Nao that could be packaged and
released. I would suggest setting the frame_id to either
"CameraTop_frame" or "CameraBottom_frame", depending on which one is
selected.

> An other thing regarding ROS cross compilation, apr, apr-utils and logcxx were already installed on my NAO (1.10.21).
That's great to know, and definitely makes crosscompilation easier as
these were the hardest parts  from what I read in Daniel's instructions
at http://www.ros.org/wiki/nao/Tutorials/Cross-Compiling

Best,
Armin