[ros-users] GraspIt! installation

Peter Brook pbrook at cs.washington.edu
Mon Apr 11 20:47:47 UTC 2011

Hey Manuel,

Did you check out the entire graspit_simulator stack, or just the graspit
package? You have a couple of options, depending on whether you want to use
just GraspIt!, the graspit_ros database integration, or the experimental
ros_graspit_interface integration (which provides more features, such as ROS
service calls to test grasps). If you don't need any ROS integration, edit
the Makefile.graspit and comment out the line which defines the svn patches
to use. You could also modify the manifest and remove the dependencies on
other ROS packages.

If you want the graspit_ros database integration, just edit
graspit_project.patch and remove lines 17-22 which talk about adding the
ros_graspit_interface application.

If you want all of the integration, the steps are a bit trickier because
there is a circular dependency between the graspit package and the
graspit_interface package which isn't specified in the manifest since we
can't have circular dependencies. You first need to check out the whole
graspit_simulator stack. Then make the graspit package, and don't worry
about the error. Then make the graspit_interface package (which required
that the graspit package was already mostly made). Then make the graspit
package again (just make, don't make clean) and everything should be linked
up correctly. I don't think the graspit package is released yet which is why
things like this are still a bit bumpy.

Let me know if there are more problems,

Peter

Peter Brook