[ros-users] Generate rosinstall file from package?

Ken Conley kwc at willowgarage.com
Sat Apr 30 21:14:45 UTC 2011

On Sat, Apr 30, 2011 at 7:08 AM, Rosen Diankov <rosen.diankov at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> We would like to setup our own test sever that checks out the minimal
> ROS tree necessary for a package we want to test, and builds the
> necessary packages. The problem is that our development ROS directory
> holds a lot of packages, most of them are really not necessary for
> testing a particular package. So we don't want our testing server to
> be checking out 800+ packages, when only 50 are necessary to build and
> test things.
>
> It would be great if there was a command tool like ros-createinstall
> that generates the minimal .rosinstall file containing all
> debian/subversion/git/mercurial/bzr repositories to build mypackage.
>
> we would ideally use it like this:
>
> ros-createinstall mypackage > mypackage.rosinstall
>
> then on the test server side we would always call:
>
> rosinstall ~/test mypackage.rosinstall
> source ..
> rosmake --rosdep-install --rosdep-yes mypackage
>
> is something like this possible?

Not right now, but hopefully in the future.  Right now, our indexers
only index the 'trunk' of most packages/stacks.  So, while a tool like
roslocate can do the mapping of package/stack names to rosinstall
snippets, it's generally giving you the wrong URL for having a stable
installation.

Now that more repositories are doing official releases into
cturtle/diamondback, we have the information we need to start
producing a new index that is based on cturtle/diamondback/trunk that
would give you the correct data.

In the meantime, I imagine you could write your own tool fairly easily that

 1) Did a full checkout of everything
 2) Created an index of everything that you checked out
 3) Used said index to generate the smaller rosinstall files that you want

 - Ken