[ros-users] Announcing rosserial

Dariush Forouher forouher at iti.uni-luebeck.de
Mon Aug 1 09:24:50 UTC 2011

Am 18.07.2011 22:59, schrieb Adam Stambler:
> It does create a new transport called "rosserial" for point to point
> serial connections.   The goal was to provide a light weight packet
> where that could handle syncing the two end points and multiplexing the
> topic communication.  It also has a checksum to for error detection.
> However, the error detection is not used to guarantee is packet
> received, but rather to guarantee that an endpoint does not act on a
> corrupted packet.  It is an unreliable transport.
>
> All of this is detailed on the rosserial/Overview
> <http://www.ros.org/wiki/rosserial/Overview> page.  We are planning to
> do an API review of both rosserial the transport and rosserial_arduino
> and would love some outside input.  If there is anything you don't like
> or think could be improved, let us know.

Hi,

I've converted my avr_bridge project to rosserial, and I'm quite happy
with it. The transition was smooth and it works really well (ignoring a
couple of issues for which I'll be creating tickets in your trac).

Attached are a couple of patches I'd ask for inclusion into rosserial:

- allow custom baudrates
- simplify Subscriber/Publisher constructors
- make strings signed char*, instead of unsigned char*

cheers
Dariush
--
Institut für Technische Informatik / Universität zu Lübeck
http://www.iti.uni-luebeck.de/index.php?id=forouher0