[ros-users] [Ros-developers] Fwd: rosinstall refactoring

Thibault Kruse kruset at in.tum.de
Mon Aug 1 09:27:24 UTC 2011

The connection of rosinstall to ROS include also the mere existence of
managed non-scm entries to go into the ROS_PACKAGE_PATH, which would
make little sense in a multivcs tool, and the detection of a ROS_ROOT
directory.

And if there were a tool in 2012 called multivcs doing none of the
above, the ROS community would need a different tool doing all the
things above still, maybe based on multivcs. So I would like to avoid
renamig rosinstall now to mulstivcs assuming that what the ROS users
will have to use in the longer term future will change again. ROS users
need a tool with ROS connections, so I'd rather use a name with "ros" in
the REP.

I just need a name to put in the REP, it can be rosws, but that may be a
bit confusing for now while there is a different process developing
rosws with features that I put in and then removed again from the REP
(called "rosinstall shadow/overlay" and "rosinstall remove" at the
time). But maybe this confusion is bearable.

So shall I go for rosws for now, assuming Brians ideas will be
implementable as additional commands?

The roswtf API is called "very experimental", but I can still remove the
check command from the REP, though the checks should in my opinion still
run before each command to warn users.