[ros-users] 2d numpy arr msgs?

Tingfan Wu (UCSD) t3wu at ucsd.edu
Mon Aug 22 16:09:30 UTC 2011

Hi,
Sorry for replying an old message. But I am also interested in
multidimensional numpy array msg.
My proposal is to initialize the layout of a *MultiArray msg from the
incoming numpy.ndarray information.

Take Float32MultiArray for an example, the current method of
numpy_serialization in Float32MultiArray.numpy_serialization leaves
the layout untouched. And in the numpy_msg tutorial, the layout seems
to be None through out the example, which seems awkward. Therefore, I
propose to initialize the layout size and stride using the buff when
layout is None. This can be done with a numpy specific __init__() or
just add few lines into numpy_serialization()). Similarly, in the
Float32MultiArray.numpy_deserialization, reshape the array according
to the layout information.

This shouldn't break cross-language compatibility  as the lowlevel
data is still transferred using the "tostring()" mechanism as 1D
arrays but makes the numpy users' life much easier.

-Tingfan
PhD Student
Machine Perception Laboratory
UC San Diego