[ros-users] [Ros-developers] Fwd: rosinstall refactoring

Felix Kolbe Felix.Kolbe at informatik.haw-hamburg.de
Tue Aug 2 11:45:43 UTC 2011

Hi Thibault,

I'm still trying to figure the rosinstall update. You may jump at my
wrong assumption:

Install: "rosinstall ~/ros http://[...].rosinstall" will copy that
file to the directory, and furthermore behaves like the update.

Update: "rosinstall ~/ros" will parse the .rosinstall and
checkout/clone/update the mentioned directories.
As these directory descriptions in .rosinstall point to tags/versions,
and I understand these to be persistent from the SCM, any update on
those URLs won't change the disk contents at all, beside reverting
local changes if requested. So I don't see where the .rosinstall may
be altered. Rosinstall doesn't know which URL the file was initially
loaded from, so there is no update link for that file. Which anyway
would not allow it to serve as a purpose specific setup file.

The idea with git for .rosinstall I will try, at least to understand
whats happening.

Thanks,
Felix