[ros-users] [Ros-developers] suggest new ros shebang command

William Woodall wjwwood at gmail.com
Wed Aug 10 16:44:09 UTC 2011

+1

I wonder if this could also be used to control which version of Python you
are using without changing the paths and such.  I have been working on
making ros, ros_comm, and common_msgs more Python 2/3 portable because of
MORSE, which uses Blender, which requires Python3.  I had considered setting
something like env['ROS_PYTHON'] and replacing the #!/usr/bin/env python
lines with something like ros-shebang that would select python executables
and paths based on the environment variable.  This isn't something I see
people doing often, but it might be a use case to consider when designing
this tool.  There might also be a better/existing way of doing what I am
talking about, but I am just not aware of it.

Looks good,

William Woodall
Graduate Software Engineering
Auburn University