[ros-users] ROS for Python3

Ken Conley kwc at willowgarage.com
Wed Aug 10 20:22:06 UTC 2011

On Wed, Aug 10, 2011 at 12:59 PM, William Woodall <wjwwood at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks Ken, I was aware of the work these guys are doing, I have just run
> into some issues and solved them, but still want to make sure my fixes are
> working in both Python 2 and 3 so I do a lot of switching.
> That brings up something else I was wondering.  If I find/fix something
> should I go through the proper trac ticket process or should I go
> through Michael Karg, Séverin Lemaignan, and Lorenz Mösenlechner so they can
> be rolled into broader patches like the ones on trac right now?  I guess
> what I am asking is whether or not the move to support Python3 is solid
> enough to move to bug reporting or if it is still fluid enough for patching
> in larger patches.

Please use the trac process.  It provides greater visibility and makes
it easier to collaboratively solve these issues.  From the tickets,
you can see that the conversion is mostly done (sans outside tools,
e.g. roslaunch, rostopic).

Also, large patches are always problematic.  The smallest possible
patch is always welcome.  One of the reasons why it has taken so long
to progress on this ticket is the sheer scope of the conversion.  One
of the things I have tried to do is separate the easy fixes (e.g.
Exception as e, print()) as those generally easy to auto-accept; this
makes it easier to focus on the trickier conversions, like str/unicode
issues.

thanks,
Ken